Tobacco Cessation initiative
Tobacco use is still the most preventable cause of death in the United States killing over 400,000 people per year.
TheÂ goal for the tobacco initiative is to assist anyone that may be ready to quit using tobacco. One of the most effective ways is to provide them with the FREE 1-800-Quit NOW number and web based program.
The quit line is a FREE resource for ANYONE 13 years of age and up that resides in Indiana and can speak with a trained quit coach who will help them make a plan on the best way to quit using tobacco.
Webcoach, www.eQuitNow.com, is for anyone 18 years and older that would prefer to use a website/live chat versus a phone call to assist them with quitting nicotine.
- One on one coaching for Tobacco Users who have decided to quit
- Resources for Healthcare Providers who want to improve patient outcomes
- Best Practices for Employers who want to implement smoke-free policies
- Support for Family and Friends who want to help loved ones stop smoking
- Tools for Tobacco Control partners to complement their current programs
Services are available to you 7 days-a-week inÂ multiple languages.Â Counselors promise to meet you where you are and provide solutions tailored to your needs. For support,Â call today 1-800-QUIT-NOW.
The coalition works to implement this resource three ways:
- Work with health providers to educate them on the quit line and assist them in referring patients to the quit line.
- Work with employers to offer this free resource as part of their cessation services to their employees that have tobacco addictions
- Promote the quit line to the general public through media campaigns, posters, mailings, social media and word of mouth.
Tobacco companies have always marketed their products to youth! Their own documents have shown that. They continue to do this with new, tricky marketing tactics and delivering nicotine in different forms (Other Tobacco Productsâ¦.OTPâs). This includes e-cigarettes, hookahs, snus, and dissolveables.
It is our job as a coalition to monitor these new products and educate young people as well as adults about BIG TOBACCOâs LIES!
Secondhand Smoke Initiatives
Secondhand smoke is the 3rd preventable cause of death in the United States. It kills almost 54,000 people a year. Protecting workers, especially in the hospitality industry, from secondhand smoke is one of the single biggest ways to decrease heart attack rates as well as asthma and infant mortality rates.
Intersect, Inc. works on educating business owners, community partners, and key leaders on the dangers of secondhand smoke in order to pass stronger policies to protect more workers exposed to SHS within their employment.
Three of our top smoke free air initiatives are:
- Educating community members and policy makers on the benefits of a comprehensive smoke free air law for Anderson and Madison County
- Working with Housing Authorities on implementing smoke free public housing policies to protect all residents
- Working with private multi-unit housing managers on implementing smoke free housing policies to protect all residents